As many of you know, my daughter Katie has Cystic Fibrosis. Katie was diagnosed with CF on September 30 2008. She was 17 months old at the time.
On Sunday May 30 2010, the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation will be hosting the annual Great Strides walk for cystic fibrosis. We will be walking and invite you to join us for this annual event.
Please watch our video, Katie – Great Strides 2010, which provides a window into our world.
CF, which affects the lungs and the digestive system, is the most common, fatal, genetic disease affecting Canadian children and young adults. Forty years ago, most children with CF did not live long enough to attend kindergarten. Today, half of Canadians with CF are expected to live into their 40s and beyond.
While life span has improved for patients with CF, quality of life is still an issue. Daily treatments, medication, clinic visits and health challenges are always present. When Katie is healthy, we do two treatment sessions a day with her. When she is sick (cold, flu, etc.), we do three or four treatment sessions with her.
Here’s a brief list of her regular medicine intake and treatment regimen:
- approx 20 pills a day (enzymes – they help Katie digest food);
- vitamin supplements twice a day;
- 2 to 4 Pediasure nutrition supplement drinks each day;
- Nebulizer + medicine – basically, a mist mask that Katie wears twice a day for 15 minutes each time;
- Percussion treatment – 15 to 20 minutes of hitting her chest and back – twice a day;
Plus, the following “specialty items” when she is sick with a cold, flu or other sickness:
- Oral antibiotics;
- Additional medicine in her nebulizer from time to time as her health dictates;
- Additional nebulizer and percussion treatment – typically 3 or 4 treatment sessions a day when she’s sick;
Each year, on the last Sunday in May, friends, family and co-workers of people with cystic fibrosis participate in “Great Strides”, which is the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s largest national fundraising event. Walk with us on Sunday May 30 2010.
To assist, you can:
- Donate money;
- Donate and/or collect pledges and Walk with us on Sunday May 30; and/or
- Recruit others to join us in this fundraising event;
To join our team, “Team Katie”, and walk with us on May 30 at Safari Niagara in Stevensville, click here:
To sponsor Katie directly in her fundraising efforts for Team Katie, click here:
We thank you for your support. Our wish is that one day, CF will stand for “Cure Found”.
Todd, Julie, Noah & Katie Dow (and the bump – Dow baby #3 is due any day now!)